• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I may be named as a witness in a divorce

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ml7910

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Iowa

I may be named as a witness in a divorce proceeding in Iowa and I live in NC. What are my rights as to providing a deposition?

LdiJ

I may be named as a witness in a divorce proceeding in Iowa and I live in NC. What are my rights as to providing a deposition?
The Iowa courts would have no jurisdiction over a resident of NC.

mistoffolees

If you never lived in Iowa, Ldij may have a point.

If you ARE subject to IA jurisdiction for some reason, your rights are to have an attorney present if you wish. You have to answer all questions to the best of your ability - even if you don't want to. You will be under oath when you are questioned and lying could get you in a lot of trouble. It's not like a criminal trial where you can plead the 5th.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">