• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I need advice...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

alisakg

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NY

I want out of my marriage of 17 years. I have no legal grounds here in NY. My husband will not work and collects disability. We are going through all MY retirement savings. What do I do? I dont earn enough on my own to keep us afloat. He recently tried to commit suicide and ended up in a mental hospital for one week. He came home and is now back to the previous state. I NEED OUT. I have NO support and am ver depressed. I am looking for a support group and having a hard time finding what I need as fast as I need it. I am literally falling apart. What do you advise?

Proserpina

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NY

I want out of my marriage of 17 years. I have no legal grounds here in NY. My husband will not work and collects disability.
Collecting disability usually means you can't work - not that you won't work.

We are going through all MY retirement savings. What do I do? I dont earn enough on my own to keep us afloat. He recently tried to commit suicide and ended up in a mental hospital for one week. He came home and is now back to the previous state. I NEED OUT. I have NO support and am ver depressed. I am looking for a support group and having a hard time finding what I need as fast as I need it. I am literally falling apart. What do you advise?
Honestly, you need to speak with an attorney - your husband is disabled and may well qualify for long term spousal support.

New York State Grounds For Divorce:

* Cruel and inhuman treatment (Domestic Relations Law §170.1)
* Abandonment for a continuous period of one year or more (DRL §170.2)
* Imprisonment for more than three years subsequent to the marriage (DRL §170.3)
* Adultery (DRL §170.4)
* Conversion of a separation judgment (DRL §170.5)
* Conversion of a written and acknowledged separation agreement after living separate and apart for more than one year (DRL §170.6)

Antigone*

Are you affiliated with a church or other organization that can be your support, because unfortunately we can't offer the type of support that you will need.

I hope the best for you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">