• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I need an Annulment/Divorce in Vegas but live in Toronto, Canada!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

I

itsshahbaz

Toronto, Canada

My ex and I live in Toronto, Canada. We have lived here all our lives. We were pushed into marriage by her parents. We were then flown to get married in Las Vegas Nevada in June 1999. We broke up several months later. We did not register our marriage in Canada.

1) Are we still Legally married in Canada or anywhere else besides Vegas?
2) Is it possible to get an annulment as to opposed to a divorce?
3) Do I have to get it done in Vegas?
4) Can I do it here in Toronto, Canada without having to register?
5) Can anyone recommend any good attorneys in Toronto, Canada and or Vegas?
6) Can I do this whole process on my own?
7) Can someone please provide any other useful information that you feel I may need?

THANKS!

Whyte Noise

1.) Yes. Just because you were married in one place, that doesn't mean that when you go to a different place, you aren't married anymore.:confused:

2.) No.

3.) No.

4.) I have no idea about Canadian laws.

5.) Again, I can't help you on this one.

6.) Yes.

7.) You or your spouse have to file for divorce. You'd need to look into Canadian laws to see whether you can do it there without registering your marriage. ( I have no idea of what you mean by registering your marriage. If you're married, you're married. The only place I know of that a marriage is registered at is in the courthouse in the county you were married in. But again, I don't know Canadian laws.)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">