• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I need answers

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

pimponce

What is the name of your state? Illinois

My court date papers say I do not have to appear there. I know I can attend, but my question is this: Am I allowed to make a statement to the court and judge before the divorce is declared. all help is appreciated, thanks

seniorjudge

Q: My court date papers say I do not have to appear there. I know I can attend, but my question is this: Am I allowed to make a statement to the court and judge before the divorce is declared. all help is appreciated, thanks

A: If you want to make a statement to the court, this is called evidence (specifically, testimony). To do that, enter your appearance, be sworn, and testify.

las365

Are you getting an uncontested divorce that your to-be-ex has filed? And you have agreed to terms (property division etc.) and signed the Decree and Waiver of Citation? And your spouse is simply going to get the agreed Decree signed by the Judge?

If that is the case, then unless you are going in order to withdraw your consent, no, you don't get to get up in Court and make some grand statement. What is it that you want to say, anyway?

pimponce

uncontested

Yes it is uncontested, but I now feel i was tricked into signing the papers. How do you go about withdrawing the consent?, Thank you

las365

I'm not a lawyer, you will need someone who is familiar with your state's law to give you a definitive answer.

Generally, I believe that you can file an Answer to the divorce petition, making it clear that you are withdrawing any previous consent to the proposed decree, and send a copy to the spouse's attorney by certified mail, return receipt requested. Then show up at the court date (if it is not cancelled) and anounce that you are there when the docket is called. Bring a file-marked copy of your Answer and the return receipt and tell the Judge that you are withdrawing your consent to the Decree.

LdiJ

Yes it is uncontested, but I now feel i was tricked into signing the papers. How do you go about withdrawing the consent?, Thank you
Tricked how? What in the divorce paperwork do you disagree with? What do you want to change?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">