• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

...as I was saying

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

arby

What is the name of your state? Illinois

In 1976 a co-worker and her husband divorced. She did not have her own lawyer. She and her ex had been married for 18years- and had 4 kids. Through out their marriage, she had always been a homemaker and not too saavy about settlements, etc. Fast forward to 2002, she is only able to find part-time work, has no health insurance, and recently has had some serious health problems/bills. She now realizes that she was entitled to some of her ex's pension...but her lawyer years ago did not tell her that. She was told by another attorney that after 5 years "you cannot do a thing a bout it." Does she have ANY recourse??

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

arby said:
What is the name of your state? Illinois

In 1976 a co-worker and her husband divorced. She did not have her own lawyer. She and her ex had been married for 18years- and had 4 kids. Through out their marriage, she had always been a homemaker and not too saavy about settlements, etc. Fast forward to 2002, she is only able to find part-time work, has no health insurance, and recently has had some serious health problems/bills. She now realizes that she was entitled to some of her ex's pension...but her lawyer years ago did not tell her that. She was told by another attorney that after 5 years "you cannot do a thing a bout it." Does she have ANY recourse??
My response:

After 26 years?

Definitely not. The Marital Settlement Agreement was signed at that time, and the Decree of Dissolution was awarded based upon that agreement. It's a "done deal." The Statute of Limitations has expired long ago, anyway.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">