• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I signed papers that I should not have.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

brenpat

What is the name of your state? Texas

My husband and I separated about 5 months ago. At first, I just had to get out of there and get my daughter away from him. To make a long story short, I signed a do-it-yourself divorce paper and waiver that he prepared and he has filed with the county. After things settled, my anger kicked in and I realized I should have not given him everything. For instance, I have a loan against my 401K which I am still re-paying for repairs we made to the home. He is taking the house and I doubt there is any equity in it yet. Is there anything I can do during court (our court date is next week) to get him to at least pay-off that loan and/or more?

B

brenpat

description of papers

I live in Texas.

The paper that I signed is an Original Petition for Divorce. Basically, it says that we agree to divorce and the petitioner (him) believes we will be able to reach an agreement for the division of the estate. I will give him all the property, but i do need some loans paid off. I called the district clerks office and they said I do not have to appear in court. My question is: If I go to court will I have a chance to talk and ask for the money or is it too late?

LdiJ

brenpat said:
I live in Texas.

The paper that I signed is an Original Petition for Divorce. Basically, it says that we agree to divorce and the petitioner (him) believes we will be able to reach an agreement for the division of the estate. I will give him all the property, but i do need some loans paid off. I called the district clerks office and they said I do not have to appear in court. My question is: If I go to court will I have a chance to talk and ask for the money or is it too late?
Its not too late....however you would be better off quickly consulting with an attorney.

brenpat said:
I live in Texas.

although you are technically not allowed to use "I did not know the law excuse" when you are a pro per you can inform the Judge that the orginal agreements have not been meet and you need them to be in writing. The Judge may not be to happy you brought him/her into court just to continue it later.... you could have filed a motion. However when money and the interest of the children is involved the court could be kind and give you more time.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">