• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I want a divorce but can't find my husband

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tyslilmama

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Indiana

I was married in july of 2006 in november if the same year we seperated because of his abuse. he moved away I belive somewhere in IL. he said he was gonna file but never did. so what do I have to do to get a divorce? I was laid off last month so I can't afford a attorney. can someone please help me? I was told I can get papers at my libary but can I really file without knowing where he is?

Last edited:

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Indiana

I was married in july of 2006 in november if the same year we seperated because of his abuse. he moved away I belive somewhere in IL. he said he was gonna file but never did. so what do I have to do to get a divorce? I was laid off last month so I can't afford a attorney. can someone please help me? I was told I can get papers at my libary but can I really file without knowing where he is?
It is possible to file and have him served by publication, if you truly cannot locate him to serve him, however that is something that really needs to be handled by an attorney. Its not a DIY project.

Is there a reason you need to do this right now a month after being laid off? Why don't you wait until you're more solvent with better resources? Seems finding employment would be a larger priority right now, just sayin'.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">