• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I Want Out

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stuck Marine

What is the name of your state? NC
I am a Marine who is trying to end my marriage. My wife seems to think that see can clean me out and leave me with nothing. I have 3 children, that I have no problem taking care of. We have a mortgage in both our names and most of the bills as well. What is she entitled to from my military career? If she does not live in the house, can I live there? She does not work and has not since we bought the house. Would it be worth it to end the marriage or am I stuck forever?

LdiJ

Stuck Marine said:
What is the name of your state? NC
I am a Marine who is trying to end my marriage. My wife seems to think that see can clean me out and leave me with nothing. I have 3 children, that I have no problem taking care of. We have a mortgage in both our names and most of the bills as well. What is she entitled to from my military career? If she does not live in the house, can I live there? She does not work and has not since we bought the house. Would it be worth it to end the marriage or am I stuck forever?
You really need to consult an attorney. The length of your marriage will determine quite a bit of the end result.

nextwife

The length of the marriage is the same for both of you. What is important is how long one partner has been out of the workforce, what, if any, differential in earning may be, and what their ability to return to the workforce may be. As to assets, any seperate premarital assets do not get split. Only marital acquisitions.

If you had a premilitary career, any retirement acquired premaritally is also not split, only what accrued during the marriage. Same for any of HERS.

Stuck Marine

My wife has even threatened to call the police if I were to leave her. She would tell them that she feels threatened and unsafe. Now I would never do anything to hurt her physically. How can I counteract that or prevent it all together? I don't want to stoop to her level and I still want to be able to see the kids.

LdiJ

nextwife said:
The length of the marriage is the same for both of you. What is important is how long one partner has been out of the workforce, what, if any, differential in earning may be, and what their ability to return to the workforce may be. As to assets, any seperate premarital assets do not get split. Only marital acquisitions.

If you had a premilitary career, any retirement acquired premaritally is also not split, only what accrued during the marriage. Same for any of HERS.
Its not quite that simple when its military....or at least more than 10 years military....a consult this an attorney is in order.

nextwife

LdiJ said:
Its not quite that simple when its military....or at least more than 10 years military....a consult this an attorney is in order.

Which is why I referenced retirement funds acquired in any PREMILITARY pursuit, premaritally. The miltary retirement rules ONLY apply to miltary retirement, not retirement funds of military people before they were military.

Stuck Marine

Thanks For Nothing

I'd Like To Say Thanks. I Asked A Question And All I Get Is An Argument On Who Is Right. I Would Be Better Off Paying 150 Dollars An Hour For Advice, Rather Than Waste My Time On This Website. You Need To Get A Life Or Find A New Web Site To Argue Over. I Thought This Was In Place To Help People. Like I Said In The Title, Thanks For Nothing. Still Stuck And Now Aggravated Marine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">