• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I wasn't mentioned in the divorce.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

[email protected]

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Mississippi
Hello and thank your for looking at my post.
I have a question about money for tuition. My parents just finalized their out of court divorce. I noticed that not even my name was mentioned in it. I am 18 years old and a Freshman at Clemson University. Both parents now refuse to pay for any of my tuition. They have told me good luck son on getting a loan. My parents are very wealthy and so I received zero money from the FAFSA. I was just curious if its legal to not mention your kid or even his welfare in the divorce papers.
Thank you again.

Additional information: At first my parents tried to pin on the other to support me. They then came up with the agreement of not putting me in the divorce so they could keep more money for themselves.

TinkerBelleLuvr

It's their money; they can do as they wish with it.

You are 18 and out of high school. No issues concerning child support / parenting time.

Suggest talking with the financial aid office at this time about your problem with FAFSA. Do understand.

mistoffolees

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Mississippi
Hello and thank your for looking at my post.
I have a question about money for tuition. My parents just finalized their out of court divorce. I noticed that not even my name was mentioned in it. I am 18 years old and a Freshman at Clemson University. Both parents now refuse to pay for any of my tuition. They have told me good luck son on getting a loan. My parents are very wealthy and so I received zero money from the FAFSA. I was just curious if its legal to not mention your kid or even his welfare in the divorce papers.
Thank you again.

Additional information: At first my parents tried to pin on the other to support me. They then came up with the agreement of not putting me in the divorce so they could keep more money for themselves.
1. Grow up.

2. Your parents don't owe you anything. Legally, you're an adult so there's no reason you should be in the divorce papers. IF THEY WISH, they could agree to give you money and put it in the divorce decree, but they don't have to. If my kids were as demanding as you are, I probably wouldn't do it, either.

3. Your parents don't owe you an education. I paid for my own education, working the entire time I was in school and ended up with an Ivy League PhD. As far as I know, no one has passed a law saying you can't put yourself through school.

4. Your idea of wealthy might not coincide with reality. They probably have a lot of obligations and if they're close to retirement, they need to worry about that, too.

As far as FAFSA is concerned, it is possible for you to be declared independent in which case your parents' income would not matter. You might need to get a job and move out for a year, but that would be one way for you to learn how to take care of yourself. However, that may not be necessary. Contact FAFSA for the rules. I'm pretty sure that there's a way for your parents to submit a form saying that they can't afford to pay tuition if that's the case. There may also be a way for them to submit a form saying that you're on your own, but it's been a while since I did it, so I can't remember. They would certainly lose their ability to claim you as a dependent, though.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">