• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

IAAL-ability to pay, can you define it?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sroutlaw

I wrote to you before and you basically told me there is no way, no how, my ex is getting out of paying a debt.
He is now claiming he is "unable to pay" the debt. He has a job at around $35K to $40K per year. No child support/alimony obligations. Any ideas on his chances of being relieved of debt? Note: He did not file to modify the settlement agreement, but rather just a response to the show cause , basically saying he is too poor to pay the bill.
Steph
Thanks!

D

dorenephilpot

Are you asking whether your ex can get out of a debt by merely stating that he cannot afford to pay it?

If so, the answer, after I quit laughing hysterically, is NO.

If he has an income or property, he has a means to pay his debt. Maybe it won't be in a lump sum, but, yes, he has a means to pay it.

Wages can be garnished, property can be seized or have a lien put against it....

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">