• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

if divorce occurs...what can be claimed

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Jimbo36

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Indiana

A friend of mine may potentially go through a divorce at the request of the wife. She claims that he will have to share her debt even though his name is not associated with any of the debt. Also he owns a home which he purchased from his own money and the home has no debt, she says half that will be hers as well. Mind you that they bought a town home a few years back and and put it in her name and was paying the mortgage. She also stated he would have to have to share the debt in that home. Personally I am quite surprised at these claims however my friend is concerned about paying for debt that is not his and losing his home. The question is he truly responsible to provide all of this to her? They have no children, she does not work(but she can if she wanted to), and have been married for approximately 5 years. Her reasoning for divorce is money however refusal to work.

Thanks for any advice.

Just Blue

He will be responsible for 50% of the MARITAL debt and be entitled to 50% of the MARITAL assets.

Tell your friend to consult a local divorce attorney or, at least, post here under his own user name.

LdiJ

He will be responsible for 50% of the MARITAL debt and be entitled to 50% of the MARITAL assets.

Tell your friend to consult a local divorce attorney or, at least, post here under his own user name.
And what you and he think is is marital debt, and what you and he think is marital assets is probably quite a bit different than legal reality...and what his wife thinks is marital debt and marital assets may be very different as well.

He NEEDS an attorney.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">