• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

If I date during divorce could that harm my case?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

JustMeNow09

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Illinois

I left my husband after 15 years of marriage because I found out that he was involved with another woman. He will not admit to it, but I have evidence. We have now been separated for 3 months and the petition for divorce has been filed with the court. He always accused me of having an affair, but I was faithful the entire marriage. I would like to begin dating, but I don't know if it will damage my case if he finds out that I am seeing someone. Can anyone give me advice on this?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Silverplum

I left my husband after 15 years of marriage because I found out that he was involved with another woman. He will not admit to it, but I have evidence. We have now been separated for 3 months and the petition for divorce has been filed with the court. He always accused me of having an affair, but I was faithful the entire marriage. I would like to begin dating, but I don't know if it will damage my case if he finds out that I am seeing someone. Can anyone give me advice on this?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
Pot, meet kettle.

LdiJ

Wait until your divorce is final. It will just make life more complicated otherwise. You also need to see what kind of person you are on your own. If you jump right into another relationship its easy to make mistakes.

Perky

I agree that jumping into a relationship after only 3 months is a terrible idea, and I speak from experience.

However, if you want to know if dating will affect the property division or an award of alimony, then no, it shouldn't. Marital misconduct is not a factor in Illinois with regard to those aspects of a divorce case.

mistoffolees

I agree that jumping into a relationship after only 3 months is a terrible idea, and I speak from experience.

However, if you want to know if dating will affect the property division or an award of alimony, then no, it shouldn't. Marital misconduct is not a factor in Illinois with regard to those aspects of a divorce case.
She didn't mention children. If there are children involved, it CAN affect the custody decision in most states. If there are children involved, it is good practice to never have the other person stay overnight when the kids are around - particularly if the divorce is not final.

Perky

She didn't mention children. If there are children involved, it CAN affect the custody decision in most states. If there are children involved, it is good practice to never have the other person stay overnight when the kids are around - particularly if the divorce is not final.
Agreed, especially with respect to overnight guests.

She didn't mention children, so I didn't address custody. That seems to depend on the judge and the circumstances, although conduct that does not affect the relationship with the child should not be considered in a custody matter according to statute (with a few exceptions).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">