• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

If spouse won't sign

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rockytopgirl

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Tennessee

I am going to file for divorce. I have been married for almost 3 years, but have been separated AND back in Tennessee for over a year and a half. My husband still lives in South Carolina. There are no children and no property, none. Although he has stated he will not “fight me”, he states that he will not sign anything either. He wants me to file, ask for and get a divorce without him being seen as the “bad guy” in my opinion. I want to make this happen. What do I need to do?

He wants me to file, ask for and get a divorce without him being seen as the “bad guy” in my opinion. I want to make this happen. What do I need to do?
Make him look like the bad guy or file for devorce?

I believe that you can get a divorce becdause you have been physically seperated for (X) amount of time.
Check the laws in Tennessee for the exact rules.

mistoffolees

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Tennessee

I am going to file for divorce. I have been married for almost 3 years, but have been separated AND back in Tennessee for over a year and a half. My husband still lives in South Carolina. There are no children and no property, none. Although he has stated he will not “fight me”, he states that he will not sign anything either. He wants me to file, ask for and get a divorce without him being seen as the “bad guy” in my opinion. I want to make this happen. What do I need to do?
If he refuses to sign anything, you should really get an attorney to go through the process with you.

The good side is that if he just ignores everything, you may avoid all the silly battles that drag things out interminably. OTOH, don't count on him just rolling over and playing dead when he is served. Maybe you'll get lucky, but you never know.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">