• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is it illegal for my husband to change the locks...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

crystal1

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Illinois

I left my husband 2 weeks ago.We are still married. He recently had the locks changed, and said he doesn't want me in the house when he isn't home. Isn't this illegal? I called the police.They said I can call a locksmith, or break into my home, and I wouldn't be arrested if someone reported it, due to the fact I was just living there 2 weeks ago. I can't afford a locksmith and I have pets at home. I don't want to break down the door, or break a window. It's 10 degrees outside. My husband is a trucker and on the road now. I just want to get some of my own personal things and things for my three children who are with me also, and my favorite pets are there also. I left because of domestic violence, (on his end). Also he left the key with a neighbor (male) who will be feeding the animals while he is on the road. What should I do?

mistoffolees

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Illinois

I left my husband 2 weeks ago.We are still married. He recently had the locks changed, and said he doesn't want me in the house when he isn't home. Isn't this illegal? I called the police.They said I can call a locksmith, or break into my home, and I wouldn't be arrested if someone reported it, due to the fact I was just living there 2 weeks ago. I can't afford a locksmith and I have pets at home. I don't want to break down the door, or break a window. It's 10 degrees outside. My husband is a trucker and on the road now. I just want to get some of my own personal things and things for my three children who are with me also, and my favorite pets are there also. I left because of domestic violence, (on his end). Also he left the key with a neighbor (male) who will be feeding the animals while he is on the road. What should I do?
You already got your answer. Call a locksmith or break in. If you break in, you could be required to pay for damages, so I would go with the locksmith.

Your only other option is to go to court and demand that your stbx give you access, but that will cost more than a locksmith.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Get the key from the neighbor and if he won't give it to you, CALL THE POLICE and explain that the neighbor has your property (the key to your home and won't return it).

crystal1

Get the key from the neighbor and if he won't give it to you, CALL THE POLICE and explain that the neighbor has your property (the key to your home and won't return it).

Thank you so much. I think that your idea is worth merit and possibly could work. Thanks for your feedback. :)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">