• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Illegal(?) use of credit account after divorce

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

david92453

What is the name of your state? California

Divorced from now ex-wife in 1997. Had some credit card accounts that she paid off and closed with money I sent her.

Except for one that she I guess she decided to keep.

I assumed (i know! i know!) that she paid off this card and closed the account like all the others or, at least, removed my name from the account.

My latest credit report shows that she has run this card back up to $6K in the last two years. And my name's still on the account!

Accourding to the issuing bank, it's Sorry Charlie if she ever stops paying on the account. I did have them close the account yesterday, so at least she can't run it up any higher. And boy is the ex pissed!!!

Divorce decree says that neither of us is allowed to accrue any new debts in the other's name...

There is nothing in writing that says she was supposed to take care of paying off and closing all of our joint accounts.

Question: Is what she did illegal? In spite of the account having my name on it too?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">