• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Illinois "Alienation of Affection" law

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

redsunset82

Illinois

My fiance had an ongoing affair with a lady at his office that knew he was engaged to be married. In Illinois, the alienation of affection law states that I would be able to collect monetary damages, but not for emotional damage. Since my parents had paid for the wedding upfront and I caught them 2 months before, I called the wedding off. It was over $50,000 spent that went to waste because we couldnt get it back since it was too short of a cancellation notice. Could I sue both my ex fiance as well as his girlfriend that drove us apart? If so I would love to hire someone to represent my family and I. We have kept all reciepts from what we paid for that was supposed to be for our wedding.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Illinois

My fiance had an ongoing affair with a lady at his office that knew he was engaged to be married. In Illinois, the alienation of affection law states that I would be able to collect monetary damages, but not for emotional damage. Since my parents had paid for the wedding upfront and I caught them 2 months before, I called the wedding off. It was over $50,000 spent that went to waste because we couldnt get it back since it was too short of a cancellation notice. Could I sue both my ex fiance as well as his girlfriend that drove us apart? If so I would love to hire someone to represent my family and I. We have kept all reciepts from what we paid for that was supposed to be for our wedding.
Misty there is NO alienation of affection here. Why?
311 Ill.App.3d 1029 (Ill.App. 5 Dist. 2000), 5-99-0010, Hargan v. Southwestern Elec. Co-Op., Inc.

Alienation of affections is an intentional tort that is subject to close and strict judicial scrutiny. See Coulter v. Renshaw, 94 Ill.App.3d 93, 95, 49 Ill.Dec. 635, 418 N.E.2d 489, 490 (1981). In order to sustain an alienation-of-affections cause of action, the plaintiff must plead and prove the following:

"(a) love and affection of the spouse for the plaintiff;
(b) actual damages; and (c) overt acts, conduct[,] or enticement on the part of the defendant causing those affections to depart." Coulter, 94 Ill.App.3d at 95, 49 Ill.Dec. 635, 418 N.E.2d at 490-91.
There was NO spouse in this situation. They were ONLY engaged.

LdiJ

Might there be some civil cause of action against the ex fiance for the cost of the wedding expenses?

proud_parent

Might there be some civil cause of action against the ex fiance for the cost of the wedding expenses?
Perhaps, depending on how long ago they ended their engagement.

(740 ILCS 15/0.01) (from Ch. 40, par. 1800)
Sec. 0.01. Short title. This Act may be cited as the Breach of Promise Act.
(Source: P.A. 86‑1324.)

(740 ILCS 15/1) (from Ch. 40, par. 1801)
Sec. 1. It is hereby declared, as a matter of legislative determination, that the remedy heretofore provided by law for the enforcement of actions based upon breaches of promises or agreements to marry has been subject to grave abuses and has been used as an instrument for blackmail by unscrupulous persons for their unjust enrichment, due to the indefiniteness of the damages recoverable in such actions and the consequent fear of persons threatened with such actions that exorbitant damages might be assessed against them. It is also hereby declared that the award of monetary damages in such actions is ineffective as a recompense for genuine mental or emotional distress. Accordingly, it is hereby declared as the public policy of the state that the best interests of the people of the state will be served by limiting the damages recoverable in such actions, and by leaving any punishments of wrongdoers guilty of seduction to proceedings under the criminal laws of the state, rather than to the imposition of punitive, exemplary, vindictive or aggravated damages in actions for breach of promise or agreement to marry. Consequently, in the public interest, the necessity for the enactment of this chapter is hereby declared as a matter of legislative determination.
(Source: Laws 1947, p. 1181.)

(740 ILCS 15/2) (from Ch. 40, par. 1802)
Sec. 2. The damages to be recovered in any action for breach of promise or agreement to marry shall be limited to the actual damages sustained as a result of the injury complained of.

(740 ILCS 15/3) (from Ch. 40, par. 1803)
Sec. 3. No punitive, exemplary, vindictive or aggravated damages shall be allowed in any action for breach of promise or agreement to marry.

(740 ILCS 15/4) (from Ch. 40, par. 1804)
Sec. 4. Within three months from the date that the breach of promise or agreement to marry occurred, unless such breach occurred prior to the effective date of the act, any person who is about to commence any civil action in any court for breach of promise or agreement to marry shall give to the person against whom said action is to be brought, or send in a sealed envelope with first class postage prepaid and deposited in the United States mail to such person at his or her last known address, notice in writing, signed by the person who is about to commence said action, giving the date upon which the promise or agreement to marry was made, and the date upon which the marriage ceremony was to have been performed, stating the damages suffered by the person signing said notice and stating whether the person signing said notice is or is not still willing to marry the person to whom the statement is given. If the breach occurred prior to the effective date of this act the notice herein required shall be served within three months after such effective date.

(740 ILCS 15/5) (from Ch. 40, par. 1805)
Sec. 5. If the notice provided for by Section 4 is not given as provided in that section, any such civil action for breach of promise or agreement to marry shall be dismissed and the person to whom any such cause of action accrued shall be forever barred from further suing.

(740 ILCS 15/6) (from Ch. 40, par. 1806)
Sec. 6. Actions on promises or agreements to marry shall be commenced within one year next after the cause of action accrued.

(740 ILCS 15/7) (from Ch. 40, par. 1807)
Sec. 7. This act shall apply to all actions for breach of promise or agreement to marry begun after the effective date of this act, even though the alleged breach of promise or agreement to marry on which the action is based occurred prior to such effective date.

(740 ILCS 15/8) (from Ch. 40, par. 1808)
Sec. 8. Nothing herein contained shall be deemed to repeal or amend any provisions of the criminal laws of this state.

(740 ILCS 15/9) (from Ch. 40, par. 1809)
Sec. 9. This act shall be liberally construed to effectuate the objects and purposes thereof and the public policy as herein declared. If any section, clause, sentence, paragraph or part of this act shall for any reason be adjudged by any court of competent jurisdiction to be invalid, such judgment shall not affect, impair or invalidate the remainder thereof, but shall be confined in its operation to the section, clause, sentence, paragraph or part thereof directly involved in the controversy in which such judgment shall have been rendered. If the application of this act, or any part thereof, to any person or circumstance shall be adjudged by such court to be invalid or ineffectual for any reason, such judgment shall not affect the application of this act, or part thereof, to any other person or circumstance.

(740 ILCS 15/10) (from Ch. 40, par. 1810)
Sec. 10. This Act shall become effective on January 1, 1948.

mistoffolees

Misty there is NO alienation of affection here. Why?
311 Ill.App.3d 1029 (Ill.App. 5 Dist. 2000), 5-99-0010, Hargan v. Southwestern Elec. Co-Op., Inc.

There was NO spouse in this situation. They were ONLY engaged.
Oops. You're right, of course.

mistoffolees

Maybe the cheatin' boyfriend will attempt to sue OP for breach of promise. :p
That would be interesting, but since the BF didn't pay for the wedding, there would be nothing for him to collect.

I think OP is chasing her tail. Her chances of ever collecting anything are slim to none, but if she's really serious, the only way she will find out is by contacting a local attorney rather than posting here.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">