• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I'm due in court. What's next???

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

msmafa

I am in Illinois and I need help!

My divorce attorney agreed to accept my case for a total of $2,000.00 with the understanding that this was all I could afford to pay. I paid that amount in full at the onset of his appointment.

Because revisions on two occasions were made, and the court date pending at the time was continued, I am being charged an addition 600.00. I understand that I am financially responsible for these circumstances.

My attorney agreed to accept payment for the latter services in 2 week increments that were scheduled for 1 month later; however, during the waiting period, he terminated his services to my divorce.

I became desperate and unaware of what I should do at that point. After having reiterated our verbal agreement to him, he rescinded his actions and refiled the case. Needless to say, the total balance now totals $1,200.00. Again, my attorney seemed to have forgotten our agreement and now wants the balance in full before our court appearance to dissolve the marriage on January 30, 2002. I am willing to pay the additional fees, but I'm only able to pay him as previously agreed.

What are the procedures that my husband and I should follow to finalize our divorce on our own and without my attorney???Remember, all the work has already been done and we have both signed the marital agreement.

Desperately,
MsMafa

B

believe

I would suggest, that everything agreed upon should be in writing. An attorney knows this better than anyone. I have had attorneys and even before they agreed to represent me, I had to sign a contract with the understanding of what is owed and how it would be payed. For example he charged this amount for paper work and another amount for time spent in court and so on. Good Luck to you!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">