• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Im I going to have to pay him back for supporting me?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Lifes too short

What is the name of your state? TX
Hello everyone,

I have a question regarding a divorce. Im planning on filing for a divorce soon. My husband had a lot of debt from when he was around 18 (He's 23 now). I did not know this before we got married. We eloped which was the dumbest thing I could have ever done. My parents cut me off financially and my husband had to pay for 1 year of college for me (around $10,000) We were going to apply for a greencard for me (im from australia) but decided not to. We've been married for a little over a year now and it is just not working out. With this divorce I am going to lose my security which is fine. I just want to know if I have to pay him back those $10,000 if we get a divorce. We paid those 10k cash and didnt need to take out a loan. He has a car, I don't. He has a lot of CC debt that he aquired before we got married. He's been trying to pay it off. I cant get a job because I dont have a SS# and wouldnt be able to pay him all that money back that he gave to me ( $300 a month for gas and my own cell phone bill), or invested in me ( 1 year worth of college education). We have a regular bank account together with both of our names on it. we live with friends for free, and never had to take out a loan since we've been married. He might have done it without my knowledge (he has a spending problem) but if he did, it could only be in his name. Since I cant work or even support myself, am i required to pay him all that money back? Am i responsible for the debt that he aquired before we got married? Thank you in advance, Lorianne

Last edited:

LdiJ

What is the name of your state? TX
Hello everyone,

I have a question regarding a divorce. Im planning on filing for a divorce soon. My husband had a lot of debt from when he was around 18 (He's 23 now). I did not know this before we got married. We eloped which was the dumbest thing I could have ever done. My parents cut me off financially and my husband had to pay for 1 year of college for me (around $10,000) We were going to apply for a greencard for me (im from australia) but decided not to. We've been married for a little over a year now and it is just not working out. With this divorce I am going to lose my security which is fine. I just want to know if I have to pay him back those $10,000 if we get a divorce. We paid those 10k cash and didnt need to take out a loan. He has a car, I don't. He has a lot of CC debt that he aquired before we got married. He's been trying to pay it off. I cant get a job because I dont have a SS# and wouldnt be able to pay him all that money back that he gave to me ( $300 a month for gas and my own cell phone bill), or invested in me ( 1 year worth of college education). We have a regular bank account together with both of our names on it. we live with friends for free, and never had to take out a loan since we've been married. He might have done it without my knowledge (he has a spending problem) but if he did, it could only be in his name. Since I cant work or even support myself, am i required to pay him all that money back? Am i responsible for the debt that he aquired before we got married? Thank you in advance, Lorianne
No, you don't have to pay him back. No, you are not responsible for any of his pre-marital debt. You will however be responsible for 1/2 of any debt accrued during the marriage, even if its in his name only.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
You won't have to pay him back as it was not a loan but you will be responsible for half the marital debt and receive half the marital assets -- approximately.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">