• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I'm separated, but can I buy a house on my own?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

dainboston

I've been separated for about 6 months, and I'm dying to move on. We've already split our assets, don't have a house, have no children, and it should be pretty straight forward. I'm looking to move on and buy a house before we are divorced, but I'm not sure if that is a good idea. Can that house be used against me? Anyone know??

Thanks!

VeronicaGia

Please read the large red letters at the top of the board which state:

"PLEASE INCLUDE YOUR STATE BECAUSE LAWS VARY FROM STATE TO STATE"

VG1013

Since, in Massachusetts, there is little emphasis on "separate" and "marital property," in the property division scheme. Separate property can become marital property because all property is subject to division. The judge may divide both " marital" and "separate" property, so the distinction between them is unimportant in this state. I would hold off buying anything until your divorce is final.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">