• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Imminent separation or divorce

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

antbevy

We are talking divorce or separation. If we legally separate, am I liable for his bills? Can I still be on his insurance? If a property settlement is agreeed upon, does the property have to be moved -- cars, trucks, tools, etc? Will my future inheritance be considered community property? It is in a trust.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
For the people who will say US LAW ONLY, I will point out that this user is in KS.

(I ALMOST posted US LAW ONLY until I saw your location notation above)

LdiJ

We are talking divorce or separation. If we legally separate, am I liable for his bills? Can I still be on his insurance? If a property settlement is agreeed upon, does the property have to be moved -- cars, trucks, tools, etc? Will my future inheritance be considered community property? It is in a trust.
If you are legally separated you will do a property settlement and your claim to his future assets after that point, or responsiblility for his future debts after that point, would be null.

Yes, if you are warded a piece of property you have to take possession of it. You can't force him to store it for you.

A future inheritance would be separate property.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">