• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Income tax obligations on FL-150

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

TLT23

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California
My husband pays his ex-wife spousal support. Our financial circumstances have changed and he is now in the midst of taking the matter back to court to have it modified. On opposings FL-150, she inputted her income tax obligations that she pays quarterly from her spousal support income, into question 13q on her FL-150, which asks for "other expenses". I've researched to find if this deduction is appropriate and can find no specific answer. This expense that she includes inflates her expenses substantially. If we were to claim our income taxes on our FL-150, it would at least even things out between the two parties claims. My question, can income tax obligations be included on FL-150, and why not?
Thank you

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California
My husband pays his ex-wife spousal support. Our financial circumstances have changed and he is now in the midst of taking the matter back to court to have it modified. On opposings FL-150, she inputted her income tax obligations that she pays quarterly from her spousal support income, into question 13q on her FL-150, which asks for "other expenses". I've researched to find if this deduction is appropriate and can find no specific answer. This expense that she includes inflates her expenses substantially. If we were to claim our income taxes on our FL-150, it would at least even things out between the two parties claims. My question, can income tax obligations be included on FL-150, and why not?
Thank you
In this instance I would say yes. Why?, because the payment of spousal support/alimony shifts the burden of taxes from the payer to the payee. Your husband gets to deduct the spousal support from his tax return and she must add the spousal support as income to her tax return.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">