• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

incomplete Divorce

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

deywilliams

california
i started my own divorce, we got back together, now i want to finish it. do i have to start all over? first filed april 12, 2000.

D

dorenephilpot

Call the court and see if it's still on file or whether the case has been dismissed.

After a year, the court usually tosses the case out due to inaction in Indiana, but sometimes if the court doesn't notice, it's still on file and considered active.

Depends on how vigilant the court staff is here.

If it has been dismissed, you have to start all over again, with a new filing fee and a new waiting period....

Hope this helps!

LegalBeagle

dorenephilpot said:
After a year, the court usually tosses the case out
I looked up 'tosses' in my Latin book and could not find it anywhere. I just can not keep up with these legal terms...

One point to think about.. if the petition is on file and our poster tries to continue it, the ex could be real nasty and contest the petition due to them shacking up again.

D

dorenephilpot

LOL here.

"Tosses" is right after "torts" in Black's dictionary, silly rabbit. ;-)

D

deywilliams

Thanks for the reply. I'll get right on finding out if the case is still open.;)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">