• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

inheritance property

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

renjones

What is the name of your state? Illinois
My wife filed for divorce several months ago. In the mean time my father passed away. He lived in Michigan. He left his house to my 2 sisters and myself. Will my wife have any claim to half of my portion of the inheritance of the house? If she does.....Can I not accept my portion of the inheritance? Or can my sisters buy my portion out? The divorce won't be final for quite a few months.
Any help concerning this issue would be appreciated.

BelizeBreeze

renjones said:
What is the name of your state? Illinois
My wife filed for divorce several months ago. In the mean time my father passed away. He lived in Michigan. He left his house to my 2 sisters and myself. Will my wife have any claim to half of my portion of the inheritance of the house? If she does.....Can I not accept my portion of the inheritance? Or can my sisters buy my portion out? The divorce won't be final for quite a few months.
Any help concerning this issue would be appreciated.
If a spouse inherits or is gifted any property during a marriage, that property (under our divorce law) is non-marital property and will remain the sole property of the spouse receiving any such gift or inheritance provided that which is gifted or inherited starts out with and remains titled to or in an account held solely in the name of that spouse.

You can either take it now or leave it in probate and take it at the end. Either way, Inheritance or gifts to one party of a marriage, remain separate property unless converted during the term of the marriage.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">