• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Inheritance/Virginia

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

TC0002

What is the name of your state?Virginia
I & my sister inheritited our parents 2 houses. I couldn't get a lone to pay off my sister, because my husband ruined my credit, so she is my bank. My husband pays her each month $500.00 til we get her paid off. He pays all the bills for right now, until I get out of school. We have been married for 11 years, & we have no children together. If we decide to divorce & I sell one or both houses, does he get any of the proceeds from the sale of both houses?

BelizeBreeze

At this point it depends entirely on how the deeds to the homes are made out. At best, he can possibly receive 1/2 of your half of each home.

Why haven't you simply filed a partition action to sell the homes now and put the proceeds towards another home?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">