• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

inherited property

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

badtiming

I am in Kansas and think divorce will probably be the only option soon. My wife has been gone for over 2 years when she shows up after Christmas so we can try to work things out. But all of a sudden she has decided we just can't. I would like to know if all the property I inherited from my parents estate will have to be divided with her. We have been married for over 20 years.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

You never said what kind of "property" e.g., real or personal. However, generally, and subject to only a few exceptions, inheritances are "separate property" and are not subject to division in an action for Dissolution of Marriage.

IAAL

kat1963

..unless you have already put them in her name (jointly)...some states then consider this a gift. Say it ain't so!

KAT

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

kat1963 said:
..unless you have already put them in her name (jointly)...some states then consider this a gift. Say it ain't so!

KAT
My response:

That was "one" of the exceptions I was referring to. I was hoping my general statement would have been a "que" for our writer to come back, tell us the property type, and ask for more information. But, it doesn't appear that our writer is too interested. C'est la vie.

IAAL

B

badtiming

the property

The property I inherited was land and a house from my mother's estate. When my wife moved back home, she came back to this house. I think she only came back because she wanted half of all the property.

B

badtiming

I couldn't get back to a computer to reply last night as I have very limited access and am under a great deal of scrutiny by the wife. I inherited over 100 acres and a nice three bedroom house which I never put in her name. Will that be enough to prevent her from getting half of the estate. I realize that the cattle will have to be divided, but she was the one who abandoned me and our home until she ran out of options and just showed back up.
any thoughts on this would be welcomed.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">