• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

inheritence and divorce

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bob0114

What is the name of your state? California

My wife and I bought a home 3 years ago, using $70000 of her inheritence as the down payment. Since then I've paid all mortage payments and inprovements, about $65000. We are now getting a divorce, is the original downpayment go back to her and then we spilt the rest or does the equity get split 50/50?

Thanks - Rich

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

bob0114 said:

My wife and I bought a home 3 years ago, using $70000 of her inheritence as the down payment. Since then I've paid all mortage payments and inprovements, about $65000. We are now getting a divorce, is the original downpayment go back to her and then we spilt the rest or does the equity get split 50/50?

Thanks - Rich

My response:

Under long-standing law, a spouse who, during marriage and before separation, voluntarily uses separate property to satisfy a community debt; e.g., a mortgage, is presumed to make a gift to the community and thus is not entitled to reimbursement absent an agreement to that effect. [See v. See (1966) 64 Cal.2d 778, 785, 51 Cal.Rptr. 888, 893; Marriage of Lucas (1980) 27 Cal.3d 808, 816, 166 Cal.Rptr. 853, 858]

In layperson's lingo, in the absence of an agreement, she blew it.

IAAL

LdiJ

bob0114 said:

Thanks - Rich
As IAAL said, under CA law the equity is going to end up split 50/50. However, I certainly wouldn't do that. If would offend my sense of fairness.
However I also wouldn't take her 70,000 off the top either before splitting the rest. I would calculate her share of the interest, taxes and insurance and deduct that off of the 70,000 first.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">