• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Initial Status Conference

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

theboredelf

I have alot of questions, so I hope you can help me. I have contacted 4 different lawyers about this case and it seems like they all have different answers. This case involves three states, Pennsylvania, Maryland, and Colorado, but this hearing is taking place in Jefferson County, Colorado.

My wife's attorney has been absolutely horrible about notifying me about the divorce proceedings. Every time she has to mail me something, she waits 2 weeks (or more) after the date she told the court she mailed it. Is that normal?

I received the papers notifying me about her plans to contact the court to scheldule the Initial Status Conference 6 days AFTER the date listed as the deadline to have any kind of input on when it would be. (Which was absolutely lovely, since my job doesn't give me set days off.) This paper was attached to the "Domestic Relations Case Management Order" which states that I am required to file a Sworn Financial Statement and take Parenting Classes within 30 days. (I'm posting another message about the Parenting Classes since they're in another state) Is that 30 days from the date she says she mailed it, or 30 days from when I received it?

I just received the Notice of Initial Status Conference on Tuesday (yesterday), telling me that it's schelduled for this Friday. Yes, this Friday, which, most fortunately, I am schelduled off work. Once again, the form says she mailed it on September 10th, and the postmark says the 25th. I have contacted numerous lawyers in Jefferson County, and every one can't possibly represent me considering the late date. Since I live in Pennsylvania and don't have $1200 for a last-minute plane ticket, it's a tad impossible for me to be there in person. Is there a number I can call to appear via phone since any form wouldn't possibly get there until after the conference? I've combed through a number of Colorado law sites and can't find a single thing, not even a form, about appearing via phone despite that it's stated as an option on the notice.

Any input or help is greatly appreciated!What is the name of your state?

seniorjudge

Get a lawyer.

Neither your ex-sweetie nor ex-sweetie's lawyer owe you ANY duty to notify you of court doin's.

That (oddly enough) is YOUR responsibility.

theboredelf

senior judge, actually, the initial divorce petition stated clearly that I must be notified of any changes or preceedings in a timely manner (because she's the petitioner) unless I chose not to respond to it. I responded. I wish it was as simple as "Get a lawyer." I have contacted 4 in Colorado and all 4 have given me different answers to basic, simple questions about the law regarding this case, which makes me VERY uneasy about trusting any of them to represent me when I'm halfway across the country. Plus they can't represent me at this conference on such short notice.

SilverPlum, thanks very much! For some reason I couldn't find that form, and I swear, I looked all over the CO self-help page.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">