• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Insurance Coverage Dispute

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

WhitneyG

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Missouri
Divorce decree states: "Section 2, paragraph B: Father will maintain health insurance for child".

My soon-to-be husband's divorce decree from his first marriage stated the above language. He has maintained health insurance for his daughter through his own work's insurance for the past 6 years. When we get married in October, we are planning on adding him and his daughter to my insurance plan since my coverage is better. His ex-wife states "Haley stated that you plan on having Jill carry her on insurance after marriage. Just an FYI, that's great, but you still have to be the primary to carry insurance on her, not your spouse." We do not believe that she is accurate; is there any merit to what she says?

Thank you,

Jill Whitney

penelope10

Divorce decree states: "Section 2, paragraph B: Father will maintain health insurance for child".

My soon-to-be husband's divorce decree from his first marriage stated the above language. He has maintained health insurance for his daughter through his own work's insurance for the past 6 years. When we get married in October, we are planning on adding him and his daughter to my insurance plan since my coverage is better. His ex-wife states "Haley stated that you plan on having Jill carry her on insurance after marriage. Just an FYI, that's great, but you still have to be the primary to carry insurance on her, not your spouse." We do not believe that she is accurate; is there any merit to what she says?

Thank you,

Jill Whitney
The language in the Order is specific, it states Dad. I believe the ex wife may be correct in this instance. (Key word is MAY here). Other's may come along with a different stance. It is not unheard of that a new spouse be the one maintaining a health insurance policy on a child, however, the parties were probably in agreement that this was acceptable. This doesn't seem to be the case here...

Farfalla

Be careful with this. Check the wording of your benefits very carefully. Mine have just changed that I have to have a court order stating that I have to carry insurance for my step children before they can be covered. Or I have to have legal guardianship of them, adopt them, etc. So I have to now drop them from my insurance. A lot of companies are doing this now to save costs. It helps them limit who can be on the plan.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
The language in the Order is specific, it states Dad. I believe the ex wife may be correct in this instance. (Key word is MAY here). Other's may come along with a different stance. It is not unheard of that a new spouse be the one maintaining a health insurance policy on a child, however, the parties were probably in agreement that this was acceptable. This doesn't seem to be the case here...
WRONG. If stepmom has insurance then DAD is maintaining it by being married to stepmom.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee

Thank you,

Jill Whitney
No there is not merit to what she says. Why is HALEY telling mom what is going on? Why isn't dad? Stepmom can carry the child on her insurance (if insurance allows) and that will count as father's coverage.

WhitneyG

We have understood the decree to mean that my soon-to-be husband must always verify maintenance of insurance coverage for his daughter, but it is not specifically stated that he must be the primary insured party.

penelope10

WRONG. If stepmom has insurance then DAD is maintaining it by being married to stepmom.
Thanks for clearing that up! (I was incorrectly making a literal interpretation of the Order)

Like I have said before, that's why you're the Boss!:)

VeronicaLodge

Be careful with this. Check the wording of your benefits very carefully. Mine have just changed that I have to have a court order stating that I have to carry insurance for my step children before they can be covered. Or I have to have legal guardianship of them, adopt them, etc. So I have to now drop them from my insurance. A lot of companies are doing this now to save costs. It helps them limit who can be on the plan.
i carry coverage on my step children through work, no problem

VeronicaLodge

thanks OG, that is what i was thinking, dad is fulfilling his obligation by making sure his household is somehow providing insurance for squirt and mom doesnt have to carry it.

mistoffolees

thanks OG, that is what i was thinking, dad is fulfilling his obligation by making sure his household is somehow providing insurance for squirt and mom doesnt have to carry it.
That is correct IF stepmother can get the child on her plan. That is not always possible.

BEFORE dropping the child from his insurance, he needs to verify with SM's plan administrator that the child can be added.

Farfalla

i carry coverage on my step children through work, no problem
Your plan allows it. Not all plans do.

My point is that it depends on the policy. It's in the newly added fine print on my policy in which the problem occurs. I'm only suggesting that the OP be very careful and make sure she understands the policy.

I used to be able to insure my step children, I no longer can as of this year.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">