• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Insurance lapse after signing separation agreement

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xyrrie

NC

Hey there, hope for an easy answer. My husband and I separated in January of this year. We subsequently signed a separation agreement, where he agreed to keep me medically insured until the date of absolute divorce. I received an email from him tonight stating:

"I might have a lapse of insurance from September 9th to October 9th. In between that time I would like to see how you would like to work that out. My suggestion is that I pay half of the insurance amount to you for that time frame. That would be an additional $194.48 for the month. I will need some information from you in a couple of weeks to ensure the new insurance is good to go. I will also get you the policy information when I get it."

If he is still employed with the same company, I don't know what on earth would cause a lapse, but I guarantee he is making his policy more expensive to me. In any case, I feel this is NOT about how much it costs him, but rather my expenses over and above my normal copays (which would be 100% of the expense if I have no insurance from him at all). My money hungry lawyer ate up half my retainer in one month doing almost nothing, and I refuse to give her another penny, mainly because I don't have any more to give. Any suggestions? Thanks!

NC

Hey there, hope for an easy answer. My husband and I separated in January of this year. We subsequently signed a separation agreement, where he agreed to keep me medically insured until the date of absolute divorce. I received an email from him tonight stating:

"I might have a lapse of insurance from September 9th to October 9th. In between that time I would like to see how you would like to work that out. My suggestion is that I pay half of the insurance amount to you for that time frame. That would be an additional $194.48 for the month. I will need some information from you in a couple of weeks to ensure the new insurance is good to go. I will also get you the policy information when I get it."

If he is still employed with the same company, I don't know what on earth would cause a lapse, but I guarantee he is making his policy more expensive to me. In any case, I feel this is NOT about how much it costs him, but rather my expenses over and above my normal copays (which would be 100% of the expense if I have no insurance from him at all). My money hungry lawyer ate up half my retainer in one month doing almost nothing, and I refuse to give her another penny, mainly because I don't have any more to give. Any suggestions? Thanks!
I would kindly remind him of the order that requires him to provide health insurance until the divorce which includes all associated cost.

Unless your separation agreement addresses the cost of health insurance.

Has your separation agreement been filed in court?

Last edited:

Xyrrie

Legal Separation

The agreement was signed by both parties and both attorneys have it. However, I do not think it was officially filed with the court.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
The agreement was signed by both parties and both attorneys have it. However, I do not think it was officially filed with the court.
Then it is not a court order unless a judge signs off on it. Why his insurance is lapsing matters -- if it is through no fault of his own, a court would not find him in contempt. What if he lost his job? Are you working?

Xyrrie

Sorry to have taken up your time. He emailed me this morning saying there would be no lapse. I bet he just changed his plan at work and assumed there would be a lapse. He's not the brightest crayon in the box. Thanks again.

Bali Hai

Sorry to have taken up your time. He emailed me this morning saying there would be no lapse. I bet he just changed his plan at work and assumed there would be a lapse. He's not the brightest crayon in the box. Thanks again.
If you were any brighter, you would have your own insurance.

Xyrrie

In what way do you think that was an intelligent addition to this thread? You know nothing about me other than what I've shared. You are a troll, and need to hop off this thread.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
In what way do you think that was an intelligent addition to this thread? You know nothing about me other than what I've shared. You are a troll, and need to hop off this thread.
Truthfully you are relying on someone that you state is not all that bright to support you. You apparently are not smarter than the not-so-bright crayon. That makes you less bright than him because he is providing you with health insurance which you don't provide for yourself. Why would you be that stupid that you need to rely on someone that you don't believe is bright to support you? Is it laziness? Ignorance? Or are you just milking him for everything he has because you feel entitled? See the problem?

Xyrrie

Keeping me on his insurance is a far cry from supporting me. Stop being so angry at your own life that you feel the need to insult other people. Wow I never expected hurled insults from people on this forum. Take it easy.

Bali Hai

Keeping me on his insurance is a far cry from supporting me. Stop being so angry at your own life that you feel the need to insult other people. Wow I never expected hurled insults from people on this forum. Take it easy.

I suggest you be introspective on the insults. The man YOU married and is faithfully paying your health insurance doesn't deserve to be insulted by you as being compared to a box of crayons.

tranquility

The point others are trying to make is, YOU are responsible for your medical debts. It is unreasonable to rely on one not the sharpest crayon in the box to protect you regarding life changing circumstances.

Proserpina

You know, I get what you're all saying.

But since when do we automatically jump on a poster for trying to stick to their separation/divorce papers?

Colour me confused.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
You know, I get what you're all saying.

But since when do we automatically jump on a poster for trying to stick to their separation/divorce papers?

Colour me confused.
This is NOT a court order -- no judge has signed off on it per the OP. That shows HER stupidity right there. The other point is she is insulting her husband and yet she is relying on him. Her husband is apparently stupid (not the brightest crayon in the box) and she feels free to insult him but yet expects him to continue keeping her insured due to an agreement which is NOT court ordered. Apparently she is also not the brightest crayon in the box.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">