• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Interest income on tax withholding

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

rkmn01

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MN

A year ago, at the conclusion of my divorce, it was agreed that when my ex withdrew her portion of my retirement, I would also withdrawn some, to pay for my legal bills. I was to set aside a portion to give to her at tax time this year to cover her extra tax burden from my withdrawal. She refused to disburse the agreed upon amount to me last year, and kept it in her savings account, drawing interest for a year. It was not put into an escrow account.

My Question: Is there a law somewhere that says that the interest earned by her with my money, belongs to me?? Maybe in a similar way how the interest earned on a security deposit is the property of the renter??

thanks in advance for any advice!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">