• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

International Divorce.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

clotho

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida.

I am currently separated from my husband and have been since December 2007. We were married in Scotland and I lived there for most of my marriage. After things went bad with the marriage I was forced to move back to the US, as we we separating and he was not willing to sign the papers to extend my visa.

The issue I have come to now is that I want the divorce finished. Over a year and a half ago I mailed him signed notarized papers. Neither of us was asking for spousal support, there was no joint marital property, and i made sure that all debt in my name and in joint names was paid in full before I left.

This should have been very simple and straight forward as it was not contested and there was not division of propertly. How I do not believe he has submitted the papers. He claims that the courts just lost them and that he would submit them again, but I also know if it isn't causing him any grief or stress he will not be motivated to do anything.

As of right nowi cannnot get in contact with him. Every email i send goes unanswered and he will not take my calls on either his house phone or his cell. I have not gone as far as sending a certified letter but that is because after the letter leaves the US there is no way to confirm delivery.

What I want to know is do I have any recourse in Florida to start divorce procedings here. I have begun to feel like i am beating my head against a brick wall of red tape.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

mistoffolees

You've been a resident of FL for long enough to have established residency, so you can file for divorce in FL.

Since you are unable to reach him, you may need divorce by publication which is difficult to do by yourself. Alternatively, your attorney may have a way for him to be served overseas. See a local attorney.

If there were assets or children involved, it would be more of a problem since FL wouldn't have jurisdiction over someone living in Scotland, but since that's not an issue, it should go smoothly - although it will take a little time.

clotho

Thanks for the fast answer. I just wanted to make sure I was able to start persuing this through the US courts since the marriage actually took place in Scotland.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">