• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

International Divorce Law Question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Love Me Dead

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Kansas

Background Info: My ex was ordered to make half of my car payment during our divorce precedings. We were divorced in April and he has not paid any part of the car loan as he is obligated. He was living in Michigan when we divorced but chose not to attend the court date. Now that he is living back in Belgium he indicates he hasn't worked for over a year and is claiming to be indigent. My divorce papers indicate if he misses two months of payment to me in a row I can take him back to court for the full amount.

Question: Is there any sort of international law that would make it worth my while to take him back to court for the money he owes me? I don't want to waste my time or money hiring an attorney if there's no way I'll see any of the money he owes me.

Thanks for the help!

mistoffolees

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Kansas

Background Info: My ex was ordered to make half of my car payment during our divorce precedings. We were divorced in April and he has not paid any part of the car loan as he is obligated. He was living in Michigan when we divorced but chose not to attend the court date. Now that he is living back in Belgium he indicates he hasn't worked for over a year and is claiming to be indigent. My divorce papers indicate if he misses two months of payment to me in a row I can take him back to court for the full amount.

Question: Is there any sort of international law that would make it worth my while to take him back to court for the money he owes me? I don't want to waste my time or money hiring an attorney if there's no way I'll see any of the money he owes me.

Thanks for the help!
You're not going to be able to enforce that judgment overseas. It might still be useful to get the judgment (it shouldn't take very long or cost very much) if you think he might be returning to the US at some point.

Proserpina

You're not going to be able to enforce that judgment overseas. It might still be useful to get the judgment (it shouldn't take very long or cost very much) if you think he might be returning to the US at some point.
Depending on the husband's status in the US OP might have to think twice about this - if she files, and husband comes back (assuming he didn't abandon status) he can rattle a few snakes with that whole I-864 issue.

(not likely given OP's first post but wanted to add that anyway)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">