• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

International Divorce needed

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

pinoy

What is the name of your state? I dont have a state thats the problem.

My wife and I reside in the Philippines. I am an American and she is a Filipino. We want an uncontested divorce. Problem is the Philippines does not offer a divorce of any kind, just annulment and that takes thousands of dollars and years to get. Plus we dont qualify for an annulment.
We have looked into getting a divorce in Guam but they are not allowing non residents to get a divorce any longer, we are considering Haiti, Mexico and the Dominican Republic but it is unclear if they require a court appearance. Neither of us can afford to visit another country for a court appearance. We are grad students here.
Any suggestions???

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

pinoy said:

My wife and I reside in the Philippines. I am an American and she is a Filipino. We want an uncontested divorce. Problem is the Philippines does not offer a divorce of any kind, just annulment and that takes thousands of dollars and years to get. Plus we dont qualify for an annulment.
We have looked into getting a divorce in Guam but they are not allowing non residents to get a divorce any longer, we are considering Haiti, Mexico and the Dominican Republic but it is unclear if they require a court appearance. Neither of us can afford to visit another country for a court appearance. We are grad students here.
Any suggestions???

My response:

Well, let's see . . . hmmmm . . . let's see . . . [scratching head]

You're in a foreign nation, with backwards laws (worse than Georgia or Alabama), you're poor, and you want to divorce an ugly Filipino woman (with that "Pug Dog" face) . . . Hmmmmm . . .

Nope. No suggestions. Without money, you're screwed.

Hey, you got what you deserved!

IAAL

LdiJ

pinoy said:

Any suggestions???
Do you plan to remain permanently in the Philippines? If so, then it looks like you are going to have to start saving some serious money for the future. If you plan to eventually return to the United States, then you can wait and divorce after you return.

rmet4nzkx

LdiJ said:
Do you plan to remain permanently in the Philippines? If so, then it looks like you are going to have to start saving some serious money for the future. If you plan to eventually return to the United States, then you can wait and divorce after you return.
Laura,
This site is about US laws only. OP hasn'r even given the state where thet resided and are asking a question about international law, are you now claiming to be an expert in international law as well?

Are you an expert in Mexican, Haitian or Dominican Republic divorces or researched the question enough to see if they can be obtained without being present like OP asked?

NO, you just assumed, why answer?

Last edited:

rmet4nzkx

pinoy said:

Any suggestions???
This Forum is for US laws only.
I suggest that you do a search of the countries you already named and contact the people who advertise international divorces, also you might qualify for a divorce in your former state of residence or in states like NV/ You may have to return to the US to establish residency once again. We neeed specific questions about US law to reaspond. You may contact the US Counselate for more information.

LdiJ

rmet4nzkx said:
Laura,
This site is about US laws only. OP hasn'r even given the state where thet resided and are asking a question about international law, are you now claiming to be an expert in international law as well?

Are you an expert in Mexican, Haitian or Dominican Republic divorces or researched the question enough to see if they can be obtained without being present like OP asked?

NO, you just assumed, why answer?
Rmet, get stuffed....My answer had nothing to do with international law and everything to do with basic common sense. The OP is an American citizen who certainly can choose to divorce in the US when/if eventually returning to the US. The rest of his/her issues centered around not having the money to do what he apparently he/she already knows are his/her options.

Therefore my comments were legit. Save money to do what you already know you need to do....or wait until you come back home (if you are coming back home) and do it then. Again, that has nothing to do with international law and everything to do with basic common sense.

At least nobody closes their threads to get away from me....geesh!

rmet4nzkx

LdiJ said:
Rmet, get stuffed....My answer had nothing to do with international law and everything to do with basic common sense. The OP is an American citizen who certainly can choose to divorce in the US when/if eventually returning to the US. The rest of his/her issues centered around not having the money to do what he apparently he/she already knows are his/her options.

Therefore my comments were legit. Save money to do what you already know you need to do....or wait until you come back home (if you are coming back home) and do it then. Again, that has nothing to do with international law and everything to do with basic common sense.

At least nobody closes their threads to get away from me....geesh!
The question was:"International Divorce needed" .

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">