• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Issues with name changes??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

stellas

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

Apologies if this isn't the exact correct forum, but not sure where else this might go.

My divorce was final yesterday (HOORAY!) and in it are orders to revert my name to my maiden name.

However, I am getting remarried at the end of the month and intend to change my last name to my fiances (FWIW, my ex and I have be separated for 4 years, just never did the paperwork to finalize the divorce until now.....).

With the time frame it takes to go in and apply for a new SS card and drivers license....I'm just thinking I will skip the middle part of legally going back to my maiden name and just go from one married name to the new one. In theory, it seems like a straight forward issue of "This is my name now, and I'm legally entitled to change it when I get married" but I'm wondering if there are any issues anyone might be aware of that would mean I'd have to legally go through the process of going BACK to my maiden name BEFORE taking my new husbands last name.

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

Apologies if this isn't the exact correct forum, but not sure where else this might go.

My divorce was final yesterday (HOORAY!) and in it are orders to revert my name to my maiden name.

However, I am getting remarried at the end of the month and intend to change my last name to my fiances (FWIW, my ex and I have be separated for 4 years, just never did the paperwork to finalize the divorce until now.....).

With the time frame it takes to go in and apply for a new SS card and drivers license....I'm just thinking I will skip the middle part of legally going back to my maiden name and just go from one married name to the new one. In theory, it seems like a straight forward issue of "This is my name now, and I'm legally entitled to change it when I get married" but I'm wondering if there are any issues anyone might be aware of that would mean I'd have to legally go through the process of going BACK to my maiden name BEFORE taking my new husbands last name.
No, there are no issues. Its not a step that you have to make when you are getting married so quickly and will be changing your last name anyway.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">