• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

italian citizen married south african in SA in January and now wants a divorce

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

flo-g

Hi. I run into your address while surfing the net in search for answers.
My situation is the following: i am an italian citizen and i got married last January (10-01-09) in Johannesburg, to a south african woman i met in NewYork a couple of days before new year 2008 (just over a year before the marriage).
We had a civil marriage in Johannesburg, as i mentioned, then we returned to the Uk, where she has been working and living legally for the last 5years. I relocated there from Italy in late February, although i still figure as an italian resident.
Our marriage was actually registered only at the beginning of June, in South Africa by her parents, who succeeded to get a hold of the priest who married us only several months after the ceremony took place.
Recently i understood that my wife is with me only for my wallet and for the benefits of avoiding a visa duty, and she's revealed an aggressive behaviour which i do not condone.
We live in London, and i'd like to know what is my next step in order to get a divorce from her. I don't know if there's a grace period in SA, meaning if there's a certain number of months in which the marriage can be declared null without facing a court case. Anything you could tell me on the subject, or any address or email you could pass on, if you can't help, will be very much appreciated.
We haven't yet been registered as married neither in Italy nor the Uk.
Thanks so much for your help,
Flo.

mistoffolees

Hi. I run into your address while surfing the net in search for answers.
My situation is the following: i am an italian citizen and i got married last January (10-01-09) in Johannesburg, to a south african woman i met in NewYork a couple of days before new year 2008 (just over a year before the marriage).
We had a civil marriage in Johannesburg, as i mentioned, then we returned to the Uk, where she has been working and living legally for the last 5years. I relocated there from Italy in late February, although i still figure as an italian resident.
Our marriage was actually registered only at the beginning of June, in South Africa by her parents, who succeeded to get a hold of the priest who married us only several months after the ceremony took place.
Recently i understood that my wife is with me only for my wallet and for the benefits of avoiding a visa duty, and she's revealed an aggressive behaviour which i do not condone.
We live in London, and i'd like to know what is my next step in order to get a divorce from her. I don't know if there's a grace period in SA, meaning if there's a certain number of months in which the marriage can be declared null without facing a court case. Anything you could tell me on the subject, or any address or email you could pass on, if you can't help, will be very much appreciated.
We haven't yet been registered as married neither in Italy nor the Uk.
Thanks so much for your help,
Flo.
This site is for US law only. You should probably contact a lawyer in the UK for advice.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">