• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Jerked Around

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jerkedaround

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? IL
I was married in Jan 2007. In June 2007, my husband decided to move out and live in his own apartment. We tried counseling three times but never successfully; he would usually stop showing up after about three sessions. I finally gave up and asked for divorce last August (2009).

At the time, I had enough money to hire an attorney to write up divorce and settlement papers. He refused to answer my request so I filed my petition with the courthouse in September. Again, he refused to answer my request so I filed for a default order in October and it was approved. My attorney then gave him 30 days to respond before we went to court. 29 days later, he filed an appearance. Then my attorney signed papers to vacate the default order (without my permission). My attorney told me that as long as you respond within 30 days of a default order, judges do not require an excuse for missing the deadline.

After the default order was lifted, my attorney tried to find out what my husband wanted. After 3 weeks of no reply, I scheduled a hearing in December. However, 15 minutes prior to the hearing, my husband filed for court ordered counseling. I was opposed to it so the judge said we would have to schedule another hearing. We were supposed to have that hearing in January (2010). However, late the afternoon prior to the hearing, my husband withdrew his motion and cancelled the hearing. With all the back and forth between lawyers and delays, my bill is now more than $4,000. I simply can no longer afford an attorney so am going it alone.

I was ready to schedule another hearing, but my husband’s lawyer says they will contest it. However, my understanding is that he would have to respond to charges in my original petition or motion for cause if he contests. Neither of which he has done. Is this true? Or can he just say it is contested? I can’t even get him to tell my why he doesn’t want a divorce.

Also, if he does contest it, my best proof for my marriage conditions are the counselors we have seen. However, they will not testify unless they have consent from both of us and my husband will not sign a release form. They will testify if I get a judge to order it though. They told me they would not respond to an ordinary subpoena. How do I get this? Is there a motion I need to file?

I am getting tired of being jerked around and whatever help I can get would be appreciated.

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? IL
I was married in Jan 2007. In June 2007, my husband decided to move out and live in his own apartment. We tried counseling three times but never successfully; he would usually stop showing up after about three sessions. I finally gave up and asked for divorce last August (2009).

At the time, I had enough money to hire an attorney to write up divorce and settlement papers. He refused to answer my request so I filed my petition with the courthouse in September. Again, he refused to answer my request so I filed for a default order in October and it was approved. My attorney then gave him 30 days to respond before we went to court. 29 days later, he filed an appearance. Then my attorney signed papers to vacate the default order (without my permission). My attorney told me that as long as you respond within 30 days of a default order, judges do not require an excuse for missing the deadline.

After the default order was lifted, my attorney tried to find out what my husband wanted. After 3 weeks of no reply, I scheduled a hearing in December. However, 15 minutes prior to the hearing, my husband filed for court ordered counseling. I was opposed to it so the judge said we would have to schedule another hearing. We were supposed to have that hearing in January (2010). However, late the afternoon prior to the hearing, my husband withdrew his motion and cancelled the hearing. With all the back and forth between lawyers and delays, my bill is now more than $4,000. I simply can no longer afford an attorney so am going it alone.

I was ready to schedule another hearing, but my husband’s lawyer says they will contest it. However, my understanding is that he would have to respond to charges in my original petition or motion for cause if he contests. Neither of which he has done. Is this true? Or can he just say it is contested? I can’t even get him to tell my why he doesn’t want a divorce.

Also, if he does contest it, my best proof for my marriage conditions are the counselors we have seen. However, they will not testify unless they have consent from both of us and my husband will not sign a release form. They will testify if I get a judge to order it though. They told me they would not respond to an ordinary subpoena. How do I get this? Is there a motion I need to file?

I am getting tired of being jerked around and whatever help I can get would be appreciated.
What is the issue holding things up? Property settlement issues or child custody issues?

jerkedaround

What is the issue holding things up? Property settlement issues or child custody issues?
Thats the big question! We have no children and not much in the way of assets. In my original petition, I didn't ask for anything from him. Just that I keep my premarital car, furnishings and whatever I have in checking (about $2,000 now). We have wedding gifts and a few other odds and ends to split so my attorney has suggested (a number of times) first half grounds second half property hearing since he would not respond.

My attorney just kept telling me this is a giant waste of time because grounds are straight forward. However, six months and $4,000 later, I have gotten no where!

I feel like I have a right to a hearing and there should be someway to avoid being jerked around. But now, without an attorney, that risk probably goes up.

jumac

sounds like you stbx is trying to stall the divorce eather to get you to drop it or to buy time to do something such as hide assist he has gotten over the years. your post said you said he moved out in 2007 and it was not untill 2009 that you asked for the divorce. In that time he could have gotten some assists that you don't know about and posible entitaled to in a divorce.

jerkedaround

sounds like you stbx is trying to stall the divorce eather to get you to drop it or to buy time to do something such as hide assist he has gotten over the years. your post said you said he moved out in 2007 and it was not untill 2009 that you asked for the divorce. In that time he could have gotten some assists that you don't know about and posible entitaled to in a divorce.
Yes, I thought of that, however, my understanding is if he would have agreed to my original petition, he would not have been required to provide a financial affidavit. My bigger financial concern is that he has debt he wants to share.

But my immediate question is how to tell if the divorce is contested. If its not contested, I will schedule a walk-in hearing in one week. If he does contest, it will be around six weeks to schedule a hearing. And if he contests, I want at least one of our marriage counselors to testify so I need to figure out how to make that happen.

One other point I left out is that after my husband dropped his counseling motion, my attorney scheduled a hearing. In response, his attorney said he would send me an agreed order. I assume that would have at least established grounds if not property as well. However, that was three weeks ago. My attorney assumed the agreed order was coming so he cancelled the hearing. Nothing was ever signed so now I'm back at square one and I don't want to make another mistake like that again.

gr8rn

If you have lived separate and apart for over 2 years, I believe you can get a divorce without his consent. Maybe I am interpreting the IL law incorrectly, but I think it should be easy at this point. I know that in my case (in PA) we had been separated over a year when I filed and he dragged it out for a year so he could bilk me for spousal support for a year, then I was able to get my divorce with no problems after the 2 years were up.

mistoffolees

If you have lived separate and apart for over 2 years, I believe you can get a divorce without his consent. Maybe I am interpreting the IL law incorrectly, but I think it should be easy at this point.
Getting the divorce won't be that big of a problem, but if there are property or custody issues remaining, they will still have to fight over those.

jerkedaround

Getting the divorce won't be that big of a problem, but if there are property or custody issues remaining, they will still have to fight over those.
The biggest problem right now is just getting a hearing. My husbands attorney said he wants to contest grounds. I don't know if he actually will or not, but I scheduled a contested hearing in 6 weeks. I filed for discovery before and he still will not tell me what evidence he will provide. I have a sick feeling that 6 weeks will come and he will have another delay waiting for me.

Still don't know how to get my counselor to show up. But I guess I have 6 weeks to figure it out.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What "grounds" did you file under?

Check this out for some basic info (not an endorsement - just for reference):

http://www.divorcenet.com/states/illinois/ilfaq_04

jerkedaround

What "grounds" did you file under
My attorney at the time recommended I file for abandonment and irreconcilable differences. He never said why to file for both reasons and I never asked. In several of the letters my attorney wrote to my husband, he argued that living separate and apart for more than two years qualifies me for both.

LdiJ

I just don't understand why he wants to stay married to you so badly. ;)
Well...if she provides his health insurance that could be a reason. If he is in the US on a conditional green card that could be a reason. Religon could perhaps be a reason.

I cannot think of many other reasons since they have apparently have no children or assets to speak of.

nextwife

How do we know he hasn't? She is aware he wishes to share debt, this knowledge must have come from somewhere.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">