• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Job Contacts ordered by the court in California

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Wdeport

Hi there, I need some advice on job contacts. My ex wife has been ordered to apply for 5 jobs per week and she is randomly just pulling them off the internet and is not really applying. What proof can we ask her to supply so that we can see that she is actually applying for the jobs?

Thanks!

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Hi there, I need some advice on job contacts. My ex wife has been ordered to apply for 5 jobs per week and she is randomly just pulling them off the internet and is not really applying. What proof can we ask her to supply so that we can see that she is actually applying for the jobs?

Thanks!
I'm assuming that by using the word "we", you are indicating that you have an attorney. I would ask your attorney.

LdiJ

Thanks!
You do realize that many employers these days prefer that applications be submitted online? That allows them to decide who they want to interview.

Proserpina

Thanks!

Please share with us the court's definition of "not really applying".

Thanks.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
The problem with that being that even if she is turning a job search into a full time job and putting 8 hours of effort that even our poster would approve of every day, five days a week, there is no guarantee that someone is going to employ her.

Bali Hai

The problem with that being that even if she is turning a job search into a full time job and putting 8 hours of effort that even our poster would approve of every day, five days a week, there is no guarantee that someone is going to employ her.
The OP was ordered to give her money in the form of alimony and has no guarantee of employment either.

And if OP lost his job due to conditions beyond his control, the court would order him to get another job and continue the support payments, with no if's, and's or but's. That same expectation should be applied to the ex-wife.

LdiJ

The OP was ordered to give her money in the form of alimony and has no guarantee of employment either.

And if OP lost his job due to conditions beyond his control, the court would order him to get another job and continue the support payments, with no if's, and's or but's. That same expectation should be applied to the ex-wife.
Since we know nothing of the circumstances that is too broad a statement to make. We do not know even that they are talking about alimony. It could be child support.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member

Thanks!
Could be something like "no job after 6 months, alimony terminated".

Where did OP mention alimony?

Bali Hai

Where did OP mention alimony?
You are right, OP did not mention alimony. I assumed alimony because I thought it unlikely that the court would order the ex-wife to find work and income to reduce OP's child support obligation if any.

My sincerest apologies to you and others who very accurately pointed this out.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
The same statement I made applies no matter whether it is the husband or the wife. No employer can be ordered to hire them. No matter how hard a job search they conduct, what are they to do? Therefore I think it is quite unlikely than any judge has ordered anyone to find a job within x amount of time.

Bali Hai

The same statement I made applies no matter whether it is the husband or the wife. No employer can be ordered to hire them. No matter how hard a job search they conduct, what are they to do? Therefore I think it is quite unlikely than any judge has ordered anyone to find a job within x amount of time.
Yes you are quite right. At will employment applies to both genders. So how will a judge enforce that order? (my ex wife has been ordered to apply for 5 jobs per week)

What would happen if OP lost his job, stopped paying support and was found in contempt? His new residence would be the Crowbar Hotel until he made the genuine attempt (to the judge's satisfaction) to get a job and pay up with interest.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Yes you are quite right. At will employment applies to both genders. So how will a judge enforce that order? (my ex wife has been ordered to apply for 5 jobs per week)

What would happen if OP lost his job, stopped paying support and was found in contempt? His new residence would be the Crowbar Hotel until he made the genuine attempt (to the judge's satisfaction) to get a job and pay up with interest.
You were doing so well...then you jumped on the soapbox again

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
You are making an assumption that has no basis in fact. But then, that's what you're best at, isn't it?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">