• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Joint account closed

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

F

FlaSpouse

What is the name of your state? Florida

Married 4 years; two teenage girls from prior marriage. In April, youngest daughter accused husband of sexual inappropriateness (showing private parts) five and four years ago. He's had psychological testing showing no personality for this; passed 3 lie detector tests by police department. Day accusations made, I called him at work & told him he couldn't come home; I changed the locks on the house. Husband called and reported allegations to DCF himself, but I did what I had to do to protect myself from losing the children until further investigation. Daughter in counseling; husband and I in counseling. DCF closing file; allowed husband to move back into home. But I found out that a day after allegations were made, he closed our joint savings account ($11,600) and reopened in his name. Balance now down to under $9,000. He refuses to reinstate me on accounts. Says he had to protect himself in case he needed to hire an attorney. We are in counseling, and am hoping to avoid divorce, but can a spouse be sued in civil court for closing the accounts, and now going through the money at his will? Or is divorce the only alternative? In 4 years of marriage, I never took one penny out of our savings.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">