• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Joint banking account overdrawn...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

NamVet

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New Hampshire

My wife left me and moved in with another man. Since that time she has continued to write checks against out joint banking account, which is now overdrawn by more than $1k. Is there anything I can do to put an end to this?

mistoffolees

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New Hampshire

My wife left me and moved in with another man. Since that time she has continued to write checks against out joint banking account, which is now overdrawn by more than $1k. Is there anything I can do to put an end to this?
Close the account.

mistoffolees

The bank told me I couldn't until the outstanding balance was paid. I can barely pay attention these days, so an extra grand isn't in the cards.
You can tell the bank to stop paying checks from the account - basically, freeze the account until you're able to close it.

I'm not sure about your state, but in some states, charges can be filed against someone for knowingly writing bad checks.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">