• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Joint checking

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

manickats

What is the name of your state? Ohio

My husband is leaving me. He knows that we have checks outstanding in our joint account but is threatening to take the money out of the bank before the checks are cashed. Who is responsible if he does this?

Happy Mothers' Day :(

Laura in Ohio

B

Boxcarbill

manickats said:
What is the name of your state? Ohio

My husband is leaving me. He knows that we have checks outstanding in our joint account but is threatening to take the money out of the bank before the checks are cashed. Who is responsible if he does this?

Happy Mothers' Day :(

Laura in Ohio
Oh the merchant will be calling and then the merchant will turn it over to the criminal district attorney's office. The additional cost of bad checks will go from a several dollars to several hundred dollars.

M

manda2020

Look at your agreement from when you both opened the account or one of you was added. They usually say you are both responsible for the monies in the account and can not hold a party accountable for withdrawing money, ect ect.

G

Grampsx13

The way I have seen such a situation work is..."both" parties are held accountable. However...whichever party is 'located' first is who they went after 'first', regardless which party was specifically to blame.

djohnson

Grampsx13 said:
The way I have seen such a situation work is..."both" parties are held accountable. However...whichever party is 'located' first is who they went after 'first', regardless which party was specifically to blame.

I ditto this, this is pretty standard policy as long as it was truly a joint account.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">