• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Judgement Lien on my property against exwife

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

davanne

What is the name of your state? Ohio
I am currently selling my house and just found out a judgement lien was placed on my property against my now ex-wife. I'm told I need to pay this $25,000to close. The lien was apparently put on the property while we were married but I was never notified nor can I find a record of it on our local gov web pages showing judgements. She is now remarried and has a house. When we were divorced she was to recieve $5000 from the sale of my house. Is it possible to transfer the lien to her property since the judgement is only against her? And do I still need to pay the $5000 if I am paying $25000 lien? In our divorce it states that there are no judgements against us that would in the future effect the other. Any help would be helpful.

nextwife

If it "attached" to the RE while she was also in title, it is valid. Ask the title company to provide you a copy of the judgement and recording dates, etc, so you can check it against her dates of ownership interest.

You or you attorney should have ordered a title check on her interest PRIOR to accepting a deed in settlement. Many people chose to not do this to "save money" on costs, but as you can see, being unaware of such a matter can cost you a LOT more than a simple check of title would have.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">