• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Judgment?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA
Divorce was finalized in 2004. Judgment states that my Ex is to assume all past debts while I was to relinquish my rights to the business we stared together.
I sent a copy of the judgment to each debt collector.
I recently had a credit check done and see that all of the debts are still listed.
What is my next step?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA
Divorce was finalized in 2004. Judgment states that my Ex is to assume all past debts while I was to relinquish my rights to the business we stared together.
I sent a copy of the judgment to each debt collector.
I recently had a credit check done and see that all of the debts are still listed.
What is my next step?
The debt collectors (or creditors) are not a party to your divorce. Your option is to pay the debt and recover the amount paid from your ex.

The debt collectors (or creditors) are not a party to your divorce. Your option is to pay the debt and recover the amount paid from your ex.
Recovery of the amount paid will never be an option. If I had received any of the $70 thousand in child support arrears from him I might be hopeful, but no.
So although a judge ordered him to pay the creditors my only option to clear my credit is to pay them myself?
There is no action I can take against him for not paying?
I will do what I have to do**************thanks.

Isis1

Recovery of the amount paid will never be an option. If I had received any of the $70 thousand in child support arrears from him I might be hopeful, but no.
So although a judge ordered him to pay the creditors my only option to clear my credit is to pay them myself?
There is no action I can take against him for not paying?
I will do what I have to do**************thanks.
you can file for contempt with the court. but since he isn't even bothering to pay court ordered child support, it still may not get the required result.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">