• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Jurisdiction for divorce

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

sdunne

What is the name of your state?Ohio

Can you tell me what the laws are for foreign nationals to start the divorce process from the states or if this is even possible? I have a friend currently living in ireland who doesn't want to wait the mandatory 4 years before irish law will grant a divorce. Could he come to the states - Ohio - and start the proceedings here under the us divorce laws?

Any advice, contacts or guidence would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Sheri

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

sdunne said:

Can you tell me what the laws are for foreign nationals to start the divorce process from the states or if this is even possible? I have a friend currently living in ireland who doesn't want to wait the mandatory 4 years before irish law will grant a divorce. Could he come to the states - Ohio - and start the proceedings here under the us divorce laws?

Thanks,
Sheri

My response:

Gee, Sheri. I wonder what your interest could possibly be in this whole sordid affair, hmmmmmm?

IAAL

LdiJ

sdunne said:

Thanks,
Sheri
He would have to be legally living in the US (not visiting) in order to file for divorce in the US. With how long the waiting periods are these days for immigration issues that could easily take just as long as the 4 years he has to wait in Ireland.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">