• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Juristiction Question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mimsand

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Georgia
I had a disagreement with my ex about the final amount owed on our debt. She indicated I owed an additional $800.00. I disagreed with her and finally had to tell her that she would have to get a judge to make me pay anything additional. Now 10 months later, I get served a summons indicating contempt action around $4800.00. I have lived in a different county now for 7 months. Does the previous county still have jurisdiction over the case?

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Georgia
I had a disagreement with my ex about the final amount owed on our debt. She indicated I owed an additional $800.00. I disagreed with her and finally had to tell her that she would have to get a judge to make me pay anything additional. Now 10 months later, I get served a summons indicating contempt action around $4800.00. I have lived in a different county now for 7 months. Does the previous county still have jurisdiction over the case?
If your ex still lives in the previous county, then the previous county still has jurisdiction.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
If your ex still lives in the previous county, then the previous county still has jurisdiction.
Actually it is a contempt action so therefore the original court of jurisdiction would hear the case unless the case had been transferred.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">