• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Jury Trial Divorce

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

verot33

What is the name of your state? IL

My live in boyfriend has been going through a wicked divorce for the past two years. His wife has prolonged this as much as she could. When he moved out of thier home he took nothing but the clothing on his back, he continues to pay her mortgage and she will not let it go. Last week I recieved a letter saying I was to appear at an attorney's office to give a deposition and provide the past 36 months of the following: bank statements, credit card statements, purchased reciepts, loan documentation on my car and house, tax returns, etc.

My question is: Is this legal? why do I need to provide all MY personal information? should I wait until I hear from a judge that i need to hand information over?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
What is the name of your state? IL

My live in boyfriend has been going through a wicked divorce for the past two years. His wife has prolonged this as much as she could. When he moved out of thier home he took nothing but the clothing on his back, he continues to pay her mortgage and she will not let it go. Last week I recieved a letter saying I was to appear at an attorney's office to give a deposition and provide the past 36 months of the following: bank statements, credit card statements, purchased reciepts, loan documentation on my car and house, tax returns, etc.

My question is: Is this legal? why do I need to provide all MY personal information? should I wait until I hear from a judge that i need to hand information over?
Get an attorney. Yes you have to appear if you received a subpoena. Apparently they want to see if your boyfriend has been providing you with support and hence dissipating marital assets. Which he may very well have. Any money he has spent on you or on your joint home could be considered dissipation of marital assets if his money went towards your needs, wants or bills.

seniorjudge

Q: My question is: Is this legal? why do I need to provide all MY personal information? should I wait until I hear from a judge that i need to hand information over?

A: This is very common in adultery cases. The other side wants to make sure that you are not hiding some of the husband's assets. You have to comply with the lawyer's letter or the lawyer could apply for a body attachment and have the cops bring you to the deposition.

When you hopped into bed with another woman's husband, you got her and all his baggage along with the deal.

LdiJ

You may want to get your own attorney. Although I could have sworn that IL was a no fault state.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
You may want to get your own attorney. Although I could have sworn that IL was a no fault state.
Just for your info -- it may very well be no fault but that has nothing to do with dissipation of marital assets. If hubby is spending marital income on a lover then the assets of the marriage are being dissipated and wife is losing out. Hence why girlfriend would be getting subpoenaed for a deposition.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">