• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Just moved in & he wants a divorce

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

VEGAS9906

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Nevada. After moving into our new condo yesterday, my husband informs me that he is going to file for divorce. We leased the condo using my credit. We still own our old home which is in my name. We are in the process of a Chapter 13. Half of our belongings are at the old house, the rest have yet to be unpacked at the new condo. My husband is asking me to move back to the old house that I cannot afford. We scaled down by moving into the condo due to our weak financial situation. If I move out, I will surely lose the house to foreclosure. Our resale market is horrible. What are my options? I plan to contest the divorce. I work with my husband and do not receive a paycheck. Am I eligible for temporary spousal support? We just celebrated our 3 year anniversary. I don't want to leave the new condo or even get divorce for that matter.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

mistoffolees

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Nevada. After moving into our new condo yesterday, my husband informs me that he is going to file for divorce. We leased the condo using my credit. We still own our old home which is in my name. We are in the process of a Chapter 13. Half of our belongings are at the old house, the rest have yet to be unpacked at the new condo. My husband is asking me to move back to the old house that I cannot afford. We scaled down by moving into the condo due to our weak financial situation. If I move out, I will surely lose the house to foreclosure. Our resale market is horrible. What are my options? I plan to contest the divorce. I work with my husband and do not receive a paycheck. Am I eligible for temporary spousal support? We just celebrated our 3 year anniversary. I don't want to leave the new condo or even get divorce for that matter.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
You really need to talk with a financial planner and an attorney. There's just too much about your situation that doesn't make sense.

The house is in your name and you leased a condo using your credit. But you don't receive a paycheck. And why are you leasing a condo when you have a house that you're already paying for and can't afford it?

If he wants a divorce, you're going to get divorced. It might take longer, but it will happen, so you might as well delete the option of blocking the divorce from your mind.

Bottom line is that divorce or no divorce, you're going to need to learn to control your finances and live within your means. THEN, once the two of you have some clue about who's making what and who is spending what, then you can talk about whether you're eligible for temporary support.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">