• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Just out of curiosity .. wrong date on divorce papers

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Kitty-

What is the name of your state? IL

if someone enters a dissolution of marriage and the other party lives out of state .. if for some reason the wrong date of marriage was put on the divorce papers .. is that divorce legal? and are any marriages after that actually legal?

I am going through a divorce with my ex .. and noticed at first he had entered the wrong date of marriage on the papers .. it is fixed now .. but what if he had done that on his divorce papers for his previous wife? would his first divorce have been legal? would our marriage have ever been legal?

just out of curiosity here ...

rmet4nzkx

I'm not clear exactly the mistake, the dates, or the fix.
If you were married before he was legally divorced before that could complicate things by making him a bigamist. Can you give some more facts?

Kitty-

rmet4nzkx said:
I'm not clear exactly the mistake, the dates, or the fix.
If you were married before he was legally divorced before that could complicate things by making him a bigamist. Can you give some more facts?
on the papers filed for dissolution of marriage it said couple was married on Feb. 2nd 2002 .. it was actually Jan 8th 2002 .. but that part has been corrected on our papers ..

but he filed for divorce from his first wife in 2000 .. just wondering .. if he had made the same mistake (putting wrong date of marriage) on those divorce papers .. even after going through the court process and such .. if in the end .. the date of marriage on those papers are wrong .. is it still a legal divorce?? and in 2002 we was married ..

I'm having a hard time figuring out how to word my question .. sorry

Kansas4me

She is trying to say:

If the date of marriage on a divorce paper is wrong, is the divorce still legal?

If not, then what would happen if the divorce from his first wife was not legal. Would their marriage then not be legal? Would they then need to file for a divorce?

Kitty-

Kansas4me said:
She is trying to say:

If the date of marriage on a divorce paper is wrong, is the divorce still legal?

If not, then what would happen if the divorce from his first wife was not legal. Would their marriage then not be legal? Would they then need to file for a divorce?

Yes! Exactly! Thank you :)

LdiJ

Kansas4me said:
She is trying to say:

That is an interesting question...and one that I have not encountered before. However it now makes me want to go back and check my own divorce paperwork. My ex and I had a legal wedding on February 28th, and the a church ceremony on March 8th. My ex constantly confused our wedding date for legal purposes. So it easily could have happen on our divorce papers.

I doubt that a clerical error like that would void a divorce....but who knows? It would probably be necessary to do a case law search to find out.

Kitty-

LdiJ said:
That is an interesting question...and one that I have not encountered before. However it now makes me want to go back and check my own divorce paperwork. My ex and I had a legal wedding on February 28th, and the a church ceremony on March 8th. My ex constantly confused our wedding date for legal purposes. So it easily could have happen on our divorce papers.

I doubt that a clerical error like that would void a divorce....but who knows? It would probably be necessary to do a case law search to find out.
What is a case law search??

LdiJ

Kitty- said:
How do I go about doing that?? :confused:
I thought you were asking out of curiosity? Do you think that his original divorce contained errors? Please tell us if there is more to the story.

Kitty-

I am not positive that there was errors on his first divorce .. but there is a good possibility .. before I look into any deeper just wanted to know if it is of any relevance

LdiJ

Kitty- said:
I am not positive that there was errors on his first divorce .. but there is a good possibility .. before I look into any deeper just wanted to know if it is of any relevance
Well...I would think that your first step would be to find out if there actually ARE any errors....before you spend massive amounts of time researching case law.

rmet4nzkx

This is why I said we needed the facts in post #2. We need facts in order to give any advice, dates, exact dates and other facts, you can't do anything without the facts no matter how curious anyone is. ;) otherwise no one with ANY knowledge is going to take the time to respond. That is why I asked the question and why I waited until now to say it again.

Kitty-

rmet4nzkx said:
This is why I said we needed the facts in post #2. We need facts in order to give any advice, dates, exact dates and other facts, you can't do anything without the facts no matter how curious anyone is. ;) otherwise no one with ANY knowledge is going to take the time to respond. That is why I asked the question and why I waited until now to say it again.
OK Thank You :)

harley831

good ques

undefined
Ok this is a good ques.... I am in PA and have come upon this in my own divorce complaint. the date says Aug 19 1995 actully its aug 12 1995. My divorce is not final yet what should I do?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">