• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

just started a divorce....

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

amcor3066

I live in california, I am in the middle of a divorce. During my marriage I was involved in an accident. I was just awarded a nice settlement for my personal injury.
My question is?? Do I have to give her half of my personal injury settlement? I'm getting a check on monday but I am affraid to cash it or deposit it. My wife has no idea about this settlement. I was told personal injury settlements you do not have to split or share any of no matter what the situation!! Is this true?? Should I open a bank account and deposit the money?? please help...:eek:

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
I live in california, I am in the middle of a divorce. During my marriage I was involved in an accident. I was just awarded a nice settlement for my personal injury.
My question is?? Do I have to give her half of my personal injury settlement? I'm getting a check on monday but I am affraid to cash it or deposit it. My wife has no idea about this settlement. I was told personal injury settlements you do not have to split or share any of no matter what the situation!! Is this true?? Should I open a bank account and deposit the money?? please help...:eek:
Not true. What was settlement designed to cover? Lost wages? Rehabilitation? Pain and suffering? Loss of consortium? Deposit the check in a SEPARATE account. Answer my questions and I will give you an answer.

LdiJ

auto accident. Pain and suffering! Personal injury. So this would be considered separate property?
If no elements of the settlement were to cover anything that would be marital (such as lost wages, or loss of consortium) then it would be separate property.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">