• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Keeping the house.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

omedahudman

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas
If i have not worked in the last few years, been a stay at home mom of 4 children would i get to stay in the house and get spouce support?

mistoffolees

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas
If i have not worked in the last few years, been a stay at home mom of 4 children would i get to stay in the house and get spouce support?
It is unlikely that you will get enough support to keep the house unless your husband makes a fortune or unless the house is paid off and there are other assets equal in value that you can give him. Even if you get a lot of support, it will probably be temporary.

The most likely scenario is that you will need to get a job and buy a house that you can afford to keep up.

Whether you get spousal support will depend on a number of factors:
1. How long were you married?
2. How much does your husband make?
3. How much are you capable of earning (you will be imputed wages at minimum wage or at a higher level if you have professional qualifications)?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">