• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Keeping Married Name

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mandi780

If my husband and I are divorcing and I want to keep my married name is that possible? My soon to be ex-husband is in agreement with this. Do I declare this in the divorce?

LdiJ

If my husband and I are divorcing and I want to keep my married name is that possible? My soon to be ex-husband is in agreement with this. Do I declare this in the divorce?
Yes, you can keep your married name, its your NAME. You are in no way, shape or form required to change it. What's more, its none of your soon to be ex's business at all whether or not you change it.

VeronicaLodge

and you dont have to do anything, you would have to do something if you wanted to change your name back or to something else, but you dont have to do anything to keep your name.

vijendrasnv

Hi,

Yes you can use your ex husband surname but one thing is not sure that is it mandatory to mention in divorce or not???
I will give updated information for this soon.

Thanks.

mistoffolees

Hi,

Yes you can use your ex husband surname but one thing is not sure that is it mandatory to mention in divorce or not???
I will give updated information for this soon.

Thanks.
As Veronica says, you don't need to mention it. The court assumes that you're going to keep your married name unless you specifically request a change.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">